- What is BHIM?
BHIM is an app that lets you make easy and quick payment transactions using UPI. It's easier than wallets! You will not have to fill-out those tedious bank account details again and again.
You can easily make direct bank to bank payments and instantly collect money using just Mobile number or Payment address.
- What is this UPI?
Unified Payment Interface(UPI) is an instant payment system developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), an RBI regulated entity. UPI is built over the IMPS infrastructure and allows you to instantly transfer money between any two parties' bank accounts.
- How fast is a transaction over BHIM?
As fast as it can get! All payments over BHIM is linked to bank account and transaction can be completed within few seconds.
- Are there any charges for using BHIM?
There are no charges for making transaction thorugh BHIM. Note: Your bank might however levy a nominal charge as UPI or IMPS transfer fee, which is not under our control. Please check with your bank for more details.
- What do I need to start using BHIM?
To start using BHIM all you need is a Smartphone, Internet access, an Indian bank account that supports UPI payments and mobile number linked to the bank account. Link your bank account to UPI through the app.
- Is BHIM app compatible with every Mobile OS?
BHIM app is currently available on Android (Version 8 & above) and iOS mobiles (Version 5 & above). We will be making our app available on other platforms very soon.
- Can I send money to anyone using BHIM?
Yes, you can send money using the BHIM app from your UPI enabled bank account. You will need to register and set a UPI PIN using the debit card details linked to the bank account. If your beneficiary’s bank account is also linked to UPI, you can simply use their mobile mobile number or Payment Address to transfer.
If not, you can use IFSC code, Bank account or MMID , Mobile number to send money.
- What if I change my mobile carrier?
No problem at all. You can continue using BHIM as usual.
- What if I change my handset?
If you change your handset, you will need to
1) Download the BHIM app again
2) Login with your mobile number and password
3) Allow BHIM to verify you
This is for your security. After verification your account will be restored.
- Can I continue using my BHIM account if my mobile number changes?
If your mobile number changes you will first have to update your mobile number with your bank.
When you open the BHIM app next time, your mobile number will verify by sending an SMS and your old BHIM account will be restored.
For security reasons this account will be activated after 24 hours.
- How safe is BHIM?
BHIM is very safe. Every transaction on BHIM requires you to enter your UPI-PIN which is known only to you, preventing unauthorised access. You should not share this UPI-PIN. In addition all transaction initiated over BHIM are carried out over secure bank networks and all communications between BHIM and banks are over encrypted channels.
- What if I lose my phone?
If you lose your phone, the UPI-PIN required to authorize all transaction will not be known to third persons and hence they will not be able to use BHIM. In addition, please contact our customer support at your bank.
- Do money transfers happen on BHIM only during banking hours?
All payments are instant and 24/7, regardless of your bank's working hours!
- Do I need to enable mobile banking on my bank account to use BHIM?
Your account need not be enabled for mobile banking to use BHIM. Your mobile number shall have to be registered with the Bank.
- I have paid for my transaction but not received anything. Why is that?
Once you complete a transaction, you should see a success status on the BHIM screen and receive an SMS from your bank. In some cases due to operator issues it can take longer time. In case you have not received your confirmation within an hour please contact our customer support at your bank.
- What are the transaction limits in BHIM?
Transfers through your bank account have a limit Rs.10,000 per transaction and Rs. 25,000in 24 hours.
- What is an UPI-PIN?
UPI-PIN (UPI Personal Identification Number) is a 4-6 digit secret code you create/set during first time registration with this App.You have to enter this UPI-PIN to authorize all bank transactions. If you have already set up an UPI-PIN with other UPI Apps you can use the same on BHIM. (Note: Banks issued MPIN is different from the UPI UPI-PIN, please generate a new UPI-PIN in the BHIM app).
Note: Please do not share your UPI-PIN with anyone. BHIM does not store or read your UPI-PIN details and your bank's customer support will never ask for it.
- I have forgotten my UPI-PIN, help!
Don't worry! In case you forget your UPI-PIN, you can reset it.
Go to App Home Screen ->Accounts->Forgot UPI-PIN ( for the desired bank account). Keep your debit card details handy and vadiate through a OTP.
- What is a Payment Address?
Payment Address is an Address which uniquely identifies a person's bank a/c. For instance, the Payment Address for BHIM customers is in the format xyz[at]upi. You can just share your Payment Address with anyone to receive payments (no need for bank account number/ IFSC code, etc.). You can also send money to anyone by using their Payment Address.
Note: Do not share your confidential UPI PIN with anyone.
- Do I need to be a customer of a particular bank to use BHIM?
To enable transfers directly using your bank account, your bank needs to be live on UPI (Unified Payment Interface) platform. All the banks, which are currently live on UPI, have been listed in the BHIM app.
- How can I view my transaction history?
Go to BHIM Home Screen ->Transaction History. to view all your past and pending transactions.
- How do I send money?
From the BHIM app Home screen,
1) Click Send Money Option
2) Enter or select the receiver's mobile number or Payment Address (you can select from your contact list or enter it) or Aadhaar number
3) Enter the amount you want to send
4) Your default bank a/c gets selected
5) Enter UPI PIN and send
Alternately, you can also scan a QR code and pay via the 'Scan & Pay' option
- How do I request money?
From the BHIM app Home screen,
1) Select Request Money
2) Enter or select the receiver's mobile number or Payment Address (you can select from your contact list or enter it) or Adhaar number
3) Enter the amount you want to request
4) Click Send
This transaction will remain pending until the payment is received. You will be notified when the money is transferred to you.
You may also request money by sharing your QR code. Goto Home Screen->Profile->Choose account to get QR code
- Can I send money to a friend not on BHIM?
Yes. Payment can be made via (IFSC, Account number) or (MMID, Mobile number) if the person is not registered on BHIM.
- How do I set the UPI-PIN for my bank account from BHIM?
You can set your UPI PIN by going to Main Menu -Bank Accounts -Set UPI-PIN for the selected account. You will be prompted to enter the last 6 digits of your Debit/ATM card along with the expiry date. You will then receive an OTP which you will enter and set your UPI-PIN. Note: UPI PIN is not the same as MPIN provided by your bank for mobile banking.
- How do I see my bank account balance?
Go to Home Screen->Accounts-> Click Request Balance option to view your account balance.
- What types of transactions can I do using BHIM?
Through BHIM you can make following type of transaction:
1. Request or Send Money via Payment Address
2. Send Money to Aadhaar Number
3. Request or Send Money to Mobile number
4. Send Money through MMID , Mobile No.
5. Send Money through IFSC code, Account No.
6. In addition, you can use the scan and pay option for Merchant payments.
- What happens if I enter wrong UPI-PIN during a transaction?
No problem, the app will prompt you to re-enter the correct UPI-PIN.
The maximum number of tries allowed, depends on your bank. Please check with your bank for details.
- Can I link multiple bank accounts with BHIM?
Currently, BHIM supports linking of one Bank only. At the time of account set-up, you can link your preferred bank account as the default account. In case you want to link another bank account, you can go to Main menu, choose Bank Accounts and select your default account.
Any money that is transferred to you using your mobile number or payment address will be credited into your default account.
- What is the advantage of UPI payments over wallets?
The main advantage is simple and easy to transact. Simply link your bank account and then you can make seamless payments without having to worry about topping up like a wallet,. Limits are equivalent to that of IMPS. Makes sense to use UPI for direct bank transfer rather than to wallets doesn't it?
- Why does my mobile number with BHIM and the one registered with my bank account have to be the same?
This is a banking network (UPI) requirement. The mobile number which is used to register with BHIM is used to match the bank accounts linked against it.
- Will you ever auto-deduct payments from my account?
We will not auto deduct payments from your account.
- Do I have to give BHIM my bank a/c details?
At the time of registartion you will be providing us with the Debit card details and with the use your mobile number registered to your bank account, we will pre-fetch the details from your bank. All the information exchange happens over secure banking networks and we don't store it, your information is safe.
- How do I access a record of all my historical transactions?
Every transaction through your bank account will be recorded by the Bank and you can view all your past transactions in the 'Transaction History' section on the BHIM App.
- How are you getting all my bank a/c information?
This is a feature of the UPI payment platform (built by NPCI- an RBI regulated entity). The UPI platform retrieves the accounts details linked with your mobile number in a masked manner i.e. BHIM can't see all the details. This exchange is done over secure banking networks and we don't store or ever use it.
- How soon will a refund from a merchant be available in my account?
As soon as your merchant has processed the refund from its end, it should be instantly available in your deafult bank account.
- My send money transaction is failing, help!
To avoid transaction failures ,
1) Ensure that the UPI-PIN is entered correctly.
2) If the receiver is not on BHIM choose to pay via IFSC instead of mobile number.
- The collect request is not reaching the BHIM app. What do I do?
In this case, please first check the data connectivity. If you have entered your Payment Address at the merchant app, please re-check your Payment Address and re-try the transaction. Please check your pending transactions tab to check if the collect request has reached you.
- I want to set my UPI-PIN but dont have an ATM/ Debit card.
You need to have your ATM/ Debit card in order to set your UPI-PIN for the first time or to reset it in case of a forgotten UPI-PIN.
- I have selected the Bank name to link with UPI but it does not find my bank a/c .
In such a case, please ensure that the mobile number linked to your bank account is same as the one verified in BHIM App. If it is not the same, your bank accounts will not be fetched by the UPI platform. Also only Savings and Current bank accounts are supported by BHIM
- Why is my UPI transaction failing?
UPI transaction can fail due to multiple reasons most likely due to connectivity issues to the banking system, incorrect Payment Address entered or wrong UPI PIN entry. If your transaction fails, please try again. If it doesn't work, please contact customer support.
- How will I know if my UPI transaction is successful?
For any transaction, you will see a status instantly on your screen. If for some reason the transaction is delayed or pending, the result will be posted on your Transaction History page along with a UTR# or bank reference number. In addition you will receive an SMS from your bank.
- My UPI transaction has failed but my bank account has been debited.
In case of failures money will be refunded back to your account. Sometimes this takes longer than intended. If you do not receive the refund within 1 hour, please contact customer support at your bank.
- I have sent money over UPI which shows as successful, but the receiver has not received the money.
Do not worry, sometime due to banking system errors money transfer may take longer than intended. In case the receiver does not receive the amount within 1 hour, please contact customer support at your bank.
- My merchant refund is not showing up on my BHIM account. What should I do?
If your merchant has not confirmed that the refund has been processed, please check with your merchant. Once the merchant processes the refund it should show up in BHIM. Refunds to bank accounts take upto 2-3 business day.
- How do I set my UPI-PIN with the bank directly?
You will be to able to set your UPI PIN through any other UPI enable Bank app.
- Is there any limit to the number of UPI transactions I can make?
Yes. NPCI imposes a limit of 20 successful UPI transactions per linked bank account per day.
- How do I pay an online merchant through UPI?
When you shop-online, you can pay through UPI when you see UPI as a payment option. On clicking that, you will need to enter your Payment Address (xyz[at]upi). Once entered, you will receive a collect request on your BHIM app. Enter your UPI-PIN here and your payment will be complete. As easy as this.