Development Research Centre (DRC)
- Commencement of Engagement
15 May 2015
- Engagement Overview
The MoU between NITI Aayog and DRC was signed on 15 May 2015 with the objective of establishing a dialogue mechanism to deliberate on issues aimed at promoting bilateral economic cooperation.
- Involvement of Indian Ministries/Government Bodies
- Anna Roy, Senior Adviser, NITI Aayog
- Ashok Kantha, Director, Institute of Chinese Studies and Former Indian Ambassador to China
- Naveen Srivastava, Joint Secretary, East Asia, Ministry of External Affairs
- Gautam Bambawale, Former Indian Ambassador to China
- Debjani Ghosh, President, NASSCOM
- Satish Mehta, CEO and MD, Emcure Pharmaceuticals Limited
First NITI Aayog-DRC Dialogue
The first NITI–DRC Dialogue was held on 22 November 2015 in Beijing. Since then, it has been held alternately every year between India and China. The first Dialogue set the stage for holding open discussions on pertinent macro-economic issues between the two sides. India’s trade imbalance and promotion of regional and industrial cooperation were at the forefront of these discussions.
Second NITI Aayog- DRC Dialogue
The second NITI–DRC Dialogue was held from 16–17 November 2016 in New Delhi. The Indian side was led by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Dr Arvind Panagariya and the Chinese side by DRC President Li Wei. Three sessions were held on ‘Global Economy: Opportunities and Challenges’, ‘Economic Transformation and Structural Reform’, and ‘India-Sino Economic Cooperation: Potential and Prospects’. Both sides agreed to undertake a joint study to identify opportunities for Chinese investment in India in the context of a potential bilateral free trade agreement.
Third NITI Aayog- DRC Dialogue
The third NITI–DRC Dialogue was held on 5 December 2017 in Mumbai. The Indian side was led by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar and the Chinese side by DRC President Li Wei. The conference focused on world trade, global economic growth and governance, Sino-Indian economic cooperation and theory and practice of sustainable development in clean energy, among others.
Fourth NITI Aayog- DRC Dialogue
The fourth NITI–DRC Dialogue was held on 1 November 2018 in Mumbai. The Indian side was led by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar and the Chinese side by DRC President Li Wei. Three sessions were held on ‘Global Economy, Globalization, and Macro-Economic Policies in China and India’; ‘Innovation, Opening-Up and Economic Transformation’; and ‘Sino-India Economic and Trade Cooperation: Potentials and Prospects’. Both sides agreed to undertake joint research in the areas of WTO reforms and urbanisation.
Fifth NITI Aayog- DRC Dialogue
The fifth NITI–DRC Dialogue was held on 28 November 2019 in Mumbai. The Indian side was led by NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar and the Chinese side by DRC Party Secretary Ma Jiantang. Both sides discussed the global economy, macro-economic policies in China and India, and potential for Sino-India trade and economic cooperation. After detailed presentations and in-depth deliberations, both sides affirmed their commitment to build a more inclusive global economic architecture and implement fair and reasonable trade rules.
- Memorandum of Understanding signed on 15 May 2015
- First Dialogue held on 22 November 2015
- Second Dialogue held from 16–17 November 2016
- Third Dialogue held on 5 December 2017
- Fourth Dialogue held on 1 November 2018
- Fifth Dialogue held on 28 November 2019
- Upcoming Event: Sixth dialogue between NITI Aayog and DRC.
Joint Study to Identify Opportunities for Chinese Investment in India
- Media Gallery
NITI Aayog–Development Research Centre Dialogue