Vision and Mission
The broader vision of the Vertical is to be involved in the formulation of appropriate strategies and polices for the sustainable management of forests; protection of wildlife and habitats; maintenance of a clean, green, and healthy environment; mitigation of climate change; and holistic development of islands in the country. The Vertical seeks to improve the policy framework through effective consultation with all stakeholders, including the academia, think tanks and Centre, UT and State Governments.
The Environment and Forests Division provides relevant strategic and technical advice across key elements of policymaking and disseminates best practices to protect our environmental resources—water, land, and forests. The Vertical intervenes to resolve inter-sectoral and inter-departmental issues between Central/States/UTs/other stakeholders to ensure smooth implementation of projects for national development.
The holistic development of islands has been accorded high priority by the Government of India and NITI Aayog has been mandated to steer the process. Some islands have been identified in consultation with the UT Administrations, the concerned Central Ministries/Departments and other stakeholders for sustainable development.
The Island Development Division makes concerted efforts to provide satisfactory jobs and opportunities for self-employment, affordable state-of-the-art facilities for healthcare, access to high quality education, and adequate air, sea, and internet connectivity to islanders. To formulate the best strategies to meet these high and multi-dimensional expectations, the Vertical constitutes committees and conducts studies to address issues and constraints in the holistic development of the identified islands.
The Vertical prepares concept development plans and detailed master plans for the development of the identified islands.
Policy Analysis and Formulation
The Vertical regularly reviews and analyses the strategies and policies applied in the relevant sectors and provides directional inputs. The Vertical also takes the lead in formulating new policies in accordance with the changing needs of the nation and keeping in mind the increasing stress on resources.
Project Analysis and Evaluation
- Examination of various project proposals for Standing Finance Committee/Expenditure Finance Committee’s consideration.
- Examination of external aided projects and furnishing technical comments and recommendations for financial support.
- Examination of Cabinet Notes for CCEA approval.
- Examination of feasibility reports, master plans and research study reports on the holistic development of identified islands.
- Preparation of feasibility reports and master plans for island development.
- Preparation of Request for Qualification-cum-Request for Proposal document for engagement of consultant for preparation of feasibility reports and master plans for island development.
- Evaluation of technical and financial bids for engaging consultants.
- Examination of reports (deliverables) for the preparation of feasibility reports and master plans for island development and furnishing comments for compliance and suitably modifying reports.
- Coordination with relevant Ministries/Departments/States/UTs/stakeholders and consultants for island development.
Line Ministries/Relevant Stakeholders
- Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change
- Ministry of Home Affairs
- Ministry of Defence
- States and Union Territories
- Coal Mining, Displacement and Rural Livelihoods: A Study in Mahanadi Coal Field, Odisha, conducted by the National Institute of Technology, Rourkela.
- Socio-Economic Impact Study of Mining and Mining Policies on Livelihoods of Local Population in Vindhyan Region of Uttar Pradesh, conducted by the Centre for Social Forestry and Eco-Rehabilitation, Allahabad.
- Adviser, Mr Avinash Mishra, email@example.com
- Senior Research Officer, Mr L. Gopinath, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant Section Officer, Mr Nitish Nagar, email@example.com
- Specialist, Ms Saloni Goel, Saloni.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Young Professional, Ms Aakanksha Sharma, email@example.com
- Young Professional, Ms Priyanka Anand, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Young Professional, Ms Namratha Kanchana, email@example.com
- Action Plan for Biomass Management
- Action Plan for Clean Fuel
- Action Plan for Clean Industry
- Action Plan for Clean Transport
Current and Upcoming Projects
- Engaged in 7 model eco-tourism projects in the Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep islands.
- Sustainable development of islands in Andaman and Nicobar and the preparation of feasibility report for the holistic development of another 11 islands.
- Sustainable development of islands in the Lakshadweep and the preparation of feasibility report for the holistic development of 5 other islands.
- Research Study on ‘Land Use/Land Cover Mapping on a Large Scale Using Very High-Resolution Satellite Data for Development Planning with Emphasis on Forest Conservation’ in Andaman and Nicobar Islands by the Forest Survey of India.
- Study on availability of water resources in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Study on reclamation of land in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Further, the following studies are in progress or are being monitored:
- Enumeration and Valuation of the Economic Impact of Female Labour (Assam University and Rajiv Gandhi University).
- Agroecology in Himalayan States with Special Emphasis on Marketing (GB Pant University).
- Development of Eco-Friendly and Cost-Effective Tourism in Hills (Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University).
- Opportunities of Livelihood to Check Migration from Hills (Sikkim University).
- Water Conservation and Harvesting Strategies (Punjab University and Central University of Jammu).
- Strategy Paper on Rationalizing the Water Act, 1974, and Air Act, 1981, with the Environment Protection Act, 1986.
- Paper on Rationalising Environmental Clearance Procedures for Industrial Estates.
- Policy Note on Behavioral Change for Strengthening Segregation at Source at Institutional and Household Levels.
- Climate Change and Adaptation in Water Management
- Climate Change Preparedness Index
- Risks of Glacial Lake Outburst Floods and Our Preparedness
- Non-Timber Forest Produce and Export Orientation
- Micro-Pilot Study of Forest Cover in Selected Areas of Aravalli Hills
- Mapping of Jhum Cultivation in North-Eastern States