The vision of the Women and Child Development (WCD) Division is to provide policy inputs for gender empowerment and improve the nutritional outcomes of women and children.
The Division designs strategic and long-term policy and programme frameworks and initiatives for improving the nutrition of women and children, and monitors their progress and their efficacy. It provides advice and encourages partnerships between key stakeholders and international and national think tanks, educational and policy-research institutions. The Division also maintains a state-of-the-art resource centre on nutrition.
- Core Functions
To evaluate evolving policy and strategic guidelines pertaining to women and child development.
To engage with the Ministry of Women and Child Development to examine current policies, strategies and programmes, both at the Central and State levels and suggest appropriate modifications/mid-course corrections.
Analyzing and providing comments on various women and child development schemes, programmes and projects through the appraisal of PPRs; analyzing and providing comments for proposals under the EFC and SFC; reviewing and commenting on Cabinet Notes.
Conducting research and generating evidence with research organisations and development partners, and holding discussions with eminent experts in the domains of gender, nutrition, early childhood development, etc.
BMGF and Ashoka University
NITI Aayog, in collaboration with Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Centre for Social and Behaviour Change, Ashoka University, has established a Behavioural Insights Unit (BIU). The unit focuses on designing behavioural interventions to improve maternal and child health and nutrition outcomes, particularly in high-burden districts.
International Food Policy Research Institute
A Statement of Intent (SoI) was signed between NITI Aayog and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) on 24 April 2018. The broad mandate was to aid the technical support unit constituted within the WCD Division. Specific activities are to be decided from time to time based on mutual consultation and agreement. IFPRI is involved in assisting the preparation of the Poshan Abhiyaan Monitoring Report. Three reports have been prepared in close collaboration with IFPRI.
Bernard van Leer Foundation
Recognising the importance of early childhood care and development to enable every child to have a healthy start and achieve their full potential, NITI Aayog has collaborated with Bernard van Leer Foundation (BVLF) to provide technical inputs on surveys on early childhood care and education.
- Line Ministries
Ministry of Women and Child Development
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
Ministries of Agriculture
Ministry of Education
Ministry of Rural Development
Ministry of Panchayati Raj
Department of Food and Public Distribution, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
Promoting Millets in Diets Best Practices across States/UTs of India Download Preserving Progress on Nutrition In India: Poshan Abhiyaan in Pandemic Times Download First Biannual Report on Poshan Abhiyaan Download Second Biannual Report on Poshan Abhiyaan Download Third Biannual Report on Poshan Abhiyaan Download Third Biannual Report on Poshan Abhiyaan Download
Take Home Ration:
Take Home Ration: Good practices across States/UTs Download
State Nutrition Profiles
District Nutrition Profiles
Poshan Abhiyaan monitoring reports:
- Piloting models on delivering health services in an integrated manner in urban areas using PPP model
- Development of National Gender Index
- Intensified nutrition strategy in high-burden districts
- Improving dietary diversity by introducing nutricereals in diets
- Developing Himachal Pradesh’s action plan to combat malnutrition
- Intervention package for early childhood care and creche
- Develop behaviorally informed narratives to promote health and nutrition
- Disseminate behaviour-change narratives through the Poshan Gyan platform to reach partners, frontline workers and end-users
- Research and design interventions to improve health- and nutrition-related behaviours
- Strategy paper on how to leverage behaviour science for social development
- Nutri-garden project in three Aspirational Districts
- Assessment of existing geriatric wellness programmes and development of a special programme for elderly healthcare.
- Analysis of the impact of girl education promotion measures in different states on the improvement of the age of marriage
- Who’s Who
Sh. Rajib Kumar Sen Senior Adviser rajib[dot]sen[at]nic[dot]in Sh. Hemant Kumar Meena Deputy Secretary wcd-niti[at]gov[dot]in Sh. Krishna Kant Sharma Senior Associate krishnkant[dot]sharma[at]nic[dot]in Dr. (Ms.) Aakriti Gupta Associate aakriti[dot]gupta[at]gov[dot]contractor[dot]in Ms. Vedeika Shekhar Associate vedika[dot]shekhar[at]nic[dot]in Dr. (Ms) Rinky Thakur Research Officer rinky[dot]thakur[at]gov[dot]in Sh. Surendra Kumar Patnaik Section Officer patnaik[dot]s[at]nic[dot]in Ms. Neha Sharma Young Professional nehasharma[dot]03[at]nic[dot]in
Women and Child Development